Dear Residents of Reid
We are writing to you because of the difficult times that lie ahead. This is a small suburb and many of us have lived here for decades, know our immediate and even further-afield neighbours which, under these circumstances, should help us keep in touch and looking out for each other.
As we have quite a way to go, we would like to hear from you if, and how, Reid residents could help you.
We can’t wave a magic wand but there could be some practical ways we may be able to help to coordinate. You well may have already put many of these in place. However, you may also like putting your hand up to:
- make regular phone calls to people who may need or want occasional contact
- offer to shop for, or lend books etc. to people who either have to self-isolate or are in quarantine (with the usual precautions)
- take dogs or other small animals for a walk and cuddles & of course, wash your hands!!!
- let us know phone numbers for helpful services so we can let residents know what’s happening or available to us here in Reid
- let people know about updates re deliveries from supermarkets and pharmacies or to arrange these from our own volunteers
- write short articles (i.e. 150 words) for RRA website or future news sheets
- make submissions to proposal papers from Government if they are relevant to Reid
- join Reid Residents’ Association: Membership application form.
If you would like to help with any of the above or with other things, please let us know by filling in the proforma or on let us know using the Contact form.
Receiving RRA newsletters and news sheets
While we will drop a print version of this news sheet into your letterbox we will post future newsletters and news sheets to our website at www.reid.northcanberra.org.au until this hazardous time for all of us has passed. If you would prefer to have the newsletter and news sheets delivered via email please send your name, residential address to our email address at email@example.com.
Depending on the opening of printing outlets, we may be able to deliver copies to the letterboxes of residents who do not have access to email. If this is the case, please drop a line to: Reid Newsletter delivery c/o 29 Euree St Reid ACT 2612. Please also include your residential address so we can distribute accurately.
WHERE TO GET HELP
These are difficult & uncertain times and many people feel isolated and fearful. We recognise this and have compiled a short list of websites and phone numbers where you can get assistance.
|Agency/Organisations & contact details|
|ACT Health helpline. M: 1800 022 222 (24-hour service)|
|ACT Community Support Services|
|Australian Government Corona virus helpline M: 1800 020 080 (24-hourservice)|
|Lifeline T: 13 11 14 (24-hour crisis support)|
|Beyond Blue M: 1300 224 636|
USEFUL AND AUTHORATIVE WEBSITES
|Organisation & contact details|
|ABC Radio National|
|CSIRO Expert Commentary COVID-19|
|Doherty Institute Work on COVID-19|
|ACT Government Public Health|
|Churches & church organisations. These are offering support & are also very pleased to have our support with donations.|
|St John’s Anglican Church Reid T: 6248 8399|
· Donation information: T: 6248 7771
|St Vincent de Paul|
Donation email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|St Peter’s Lutheran Church T: 6248 0064|
|Canberra Korean Uniting Church T: 6257 2207|
We are all facing pressures none of us is likely to have ever experienced before. We all need to try to stay as safe as possible.
The RRA are keen to help so please email on email@example.com if you have other suggestions.
Our best wishes and keep safe
Reid Residents’ Association Committee & Volunteers