Situated in beautiful surroundings at Dirrawan Gardens, Reid Tennis Club is one of the oldest tennis clubs in Canberra.
The first meeting of the club was held at the Ainslie School on 27 August 1928. The minutes record that Mr J L Mulrooney occupied the Chair. It was explained to the meeting that the Australian Federal Commission’s (AFC) voluntary labor scheme would be used to build the courts.
The first president was Mr Roy Parker. Joining fees were 30 shillings for gentlemen and 20 shillings for ladies.
The club has 4 courts. The two courts along Currong Street were built in 1929 and the top two courts between 1931 and 1934. In December 1929, the club had 71 members: 44 ladies and 27 gentlemen.
On 4 September 1929, the club president approached the 2nd Commissioner of AFC to build a pavilion. It was completed in February 1930 and has continued to provide welcome shelter in the hot summer months. The earliest drainage plans held by the club are dated 3 June 1938.
Meeting minutes of 15 September 1932 reported that tennis matches were played against Northbourne, Kingston, Forrest, Westlake and Ginninderra clubs.
Today the ambience and wonderful facilities of the club attract members from a wide area. Today, the club has 200 members drawn from a cross section of Canberra suburbs including Reid, and the adjacent suburbs of Campbell, Braddon and Ainslie.
The Reid Tennis Club has teams in competitions conducted by Tennis ACT. Canberra Tennis conducts coaching lessons for junior and seniors.
The club would be delighted to welcome more residents of Reid to join and support the club.